Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Learning to be a Gangster

So as of now, I'm reading one specific book, Gang Leader For A Day by Sudhir Venkatesh. I didn't go out and get this book myself as a read for pleasure. I personally hadn't read a book out of fun in over a year or so. I chose this book as an Independent Reading Unit for my English class. Now, reading books isn't really a hobby of mine, but it definitely doesn't feel like a school assignment when I browse through this book. It's actually very intriguing, as I can't stop when I begin reading this book. 

As a non-fiction book, I didn't know how I'd feel in this new IRU unit, but Gang Leader For A Day gives a completely different perspective of the world than your backyard. It puts you through the lives of an actual gang of suburban Chicago, and the routine of its foot-soldiers and leader, J.T.. As Sudhir follows J.T. around, you learn less about killing, rape, and violence, but about what it is that actually motivates gangs to do what it is they do. The drug dealing, the projects, the entire inside story. You even get to read about the ways people in the rundown projects live, sometimes being much more articulate than you'd even think. As a college graduate, J.T. has knowledge and know how to get around. He cares for these people in the projects, wants to raise them back to prosperity, but sadly enough, it must happen through drug money and occasional violence. 

So I leave you with this, go out and read this book. If you have already, than you know exactly why those who haven't need too. It's a view of the world that has always been shrouded in stereotype and mystery. I t's a way of finally seeing a true vision of being a gangster for a day. So sure, I didn't go out of my way and get this book myself, but I'm glad I got a chance to read it. Try and answer these questions pertaining to Gang Leader For A Day. Maybe it will give you a chance to reflect on what it is you know, or at least think you know, about the gang life.

1.) What is it about gangs and the projects that gives off such an unnerving feel to those in society?

2.) Does government, or even society, do enough to help the impoverished in their times of trouble?

3.) What does being in a gang signify to those in it? What responsibilities do they feel have been put onto them? What do those living in or around gangs feel?

4.) What do you think are the responsibilities that come with being a gang leader? Why might this be so?

5.) What might you think are the positives of being or living near a gang? How do gangs support poor communities?






No comments:

Post a Comment